Friday, April 30, 2010

R.A.Q

RAQ = Recently Asked Questions (Duh) so if you've asked a question recently, I'm only going to answer it once, here, although some are really too silly to warrant a reply.... But I shall be nice.

Q: If I am sick/ not feeling well/ just recovered, do I still need to come for training?
A: No, you don't, as long as you tell me or any of the appointment holders far in advance. Even if its on the same day. No, scratch that, you can even tell your friend, who will then relay it to us, its fine. As sportsmen, one fundamental skill is the ability to know your limits, and coming for training while sporting a fever is just asking for trouble. What would you hope to achieve by that?

That said, I will not accept being sick as an excuse for being late. You do not text me that you are not feeling well enough to come for training at 9am, in the event that training starts at 9am. My policy as a captain is always to give people the benefit of the doubt if possible, but there are some things I have to put my foot down on.
Q: I am not feeling well, but I came for training anyway, can I do less sets?
A: I don't exactly buy the 'hero' thing. Especially if you're late because of the 'illness'. So you will either sit out the training, or do the same as the rest.

You will find that most organizations in the outside world will not accept anything less than an MC. We are very lenient in the sense that we place the responsibility to turn up for training in your own hands.

This way, the weak of heart will drop out faster, leaving only the driven.

Q: When's the first training for freshies?
A: I don't know why I'm bothering to answer this, since if you can read this post, you should have no problem reading the previous one. But I'm just going to play nice, one more time. (copy + paste)

The Very First Training

Hey Freshies! I know you can't wait to get started with training now. Please take note that your very first training will commence this SATURDAY,1 May 2010.

Time: 10.30 - 1 pm (Please be punctual)
Meeting Venue: Sports Complex
Things to bring: Sports Attire/with sports shoes
Slippers

Do bring extra clothes to bathe after training as there is a chance of you going into the water. (You wouldn't want to smell like reservoir after training do you?)

The next person who asks this question, I will set a moose on you.

Q: Its the Kayak racing team, so can I only Kayak?
A: No.

Q: Really? I have to join if I do not want to?
A: Yes.

Q: Is the swimming training compulsory for freshies?
A: Yup, it is. Physical training is one aspect. Team bonding is another. Also, if you cannot swim, you'll have some trouble in the reservoir in future. And also with being on a team of lifeguards and triathletes.

Q: Can I wear surfing shorts?
A: Frankly speaking, I don't really give two hoots what you wear. I believe people should be entitled to that much freedom of expression. Hell, If it would make you swim a 25 second lap, I'd let you wear a thong as long as nothing shows. HOWEVER, TP's pool regulations state that all swimwear has to be skintight. You'd get chased out otherwise. Sorry 'bout that!

Q: Do I need to bring trunks tomorrow? (Saturday training)
A: Well, most likely you will not be needing it tomorrow. For the guys, we have a special programme planned to cut your numbers ASAP, to be left with the cream of the crop (Once again, it is not because the rest are not good. It is due to the fact that even if we have 100 people, there can only be a handful of gold medallists. No point fighting each other, that'd be kinda silly. So we can only afford to take in the best.) Also, you probably wouldn't want to wear trunks for reservoir training. You can have a look at the standard attire tomorrow.

However, if it doesn't bother you, make a habit of stuffing your trunks/tights into your bag every day - You never know when you might need it, or have an hour to spare to swim a few laps. It doesn't take up much space, anyway.

Q: Are slippers allowed for first training?
A: Ok, to make things clear, there isn't exactly a ban on slippers. However, it is strongly advised to get yourself proper footwear (booties or crocs, at the least) that covers your foot, to avoid unwarranted injuries. Such as stepping on sharp rocks in shallow waters. Take this as good advice from someone with 2 years' worth of experience stepping on sharp objects in the reservoir. You can't go wrong.

Q: Can I don't go for swimming lessons? I'm already a swimmer.
A: I am actually very glad that you did not put your name that time, because I'm going to be straightforward. First and foremostly, that is an extremely arrogant statement. In a sense, you are insinuating that you are a better swimmer than us, and therefore have nothing more to learn from us.

Secondly, we DID say that we will be teaching swimming to the non-swimmers. However, you will notice that in the post below, it says 'Swimming Training'. Not 'Lessons'. If you are already good, we will simply group you with the others who already know how to swim, and if you're still better than them, you can progress from there. In the event that you're a world apart from them, you can train with us. There's always a higher level to reach, and in the past, we've even had an ex water polo player starting right from the bottom with everyone else.

Lastly, I leave you with this: Even lets say, you're a club or even National level swimmer- There is nothing quite like slow and steady progress. As they say, if you skip a single rung, you'll end up misjudging the height of the ladder. If you get my drift.

I hope that answers any pending questions. If there's anything else, you may ask us tomorrow. Ciao! (And please be on time.)

-Josh